Monday, November 4, 2013

Getting into the Rhythm


The internet is down at one of my schools, and I have a two hour break in which I usually surf the web and do all the things I need to get done. But since  it’s down, I’m just writing a blog entry on Word which I’ll transfer later online. 

I’m beginning to get into the rhythm of my new schedule/life here in Cartagena. The mornings are not as difficult, the days are not as long, and work goes more smoothly. Plus I have much more energy than the past weeks!  Last night it thunder stormed, like nothing I’ve ever seen before. The lightening didn’t stop all night, and I saw actual rays of lightening! It was actually beautiful, and a bit scary. I began thinking about the possibility of me getting struck my lightening…

The mom of the two boys I love working with gave me some homemade chocolate chip muffins last night, another reason to love her family! Last Friday I went to a photography exhibition with another family I work with, it was all about Thailand. Not what I was expecting in the end (landscapes, scenery) because it was focused on Muy Thai, Buddhism, and Tattoos, and how they are connected. There was also a photo of a tiger, I wasn’t impressed. But still fun to go and be in that environment! Today is the birthday of one of the girls I work with, so I’ll buy her a couple of small little presents.

Just got back from Almeria which is in the southern region of Spain in AndalucĂ­a. We stayed with a friend of my roommate who’s flat was right on the beach, amazing, he was a great host. After a day/night of shenanigans we drove our rental car back to Cartagena the next night.  This weekend we’re off to Valencia, since we have Friday off for Dia de Los Santos. This holiday is in my opinion similar to Dia de los Muertos because it’s a day of celebrating the dead. Here, families go to cemeteries with gorgeous bouquets of flowers, I have seen many for sale on the streets.  I wonder why in the United States we don’t have a day like this? Seems that in our culture we don’t like to think or remember the dead because it is a sad topic rather than cherished/nostalgic topic. In Thailand we have alters with photos of the dead, which we place candles, food, water, or incense on.

Right now I am planning trips for me and my family in December/January. Plus this trip for Valencia, which all at the same time is stressful. But I feel ridiculous complaining about how stressful it is to be planning amazing trips that I’m luck to be going on!  So, that’s all the complaining I will do.

HALLOWEEN! Is tomorrow. I’ve been doing mascaras (masks) with the first and second graders I teach, they love it. Sometimes (as loud and wild as they can be) it’s nice to have such an enthusiastic and excited audience for a class! In comparison to high school students, who don’t care or pretend they don’t care because it’s the thing to do at that age. But all my students are great. Although it’s not really celebrated here. If you dress up, it must be something scary. Halloween here is all about scariness. Carnival which is in February/March is more about dressing up however you want.  Maybe I’ll go to Venice for that, we’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment