Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Work Begins...


(Roughly around 5:00pm)
Just got done with a tutoring session right after getting out of work at 2pm, luckily one of my teachers drove me. This second program Nanny Speaking is pretty unorganized as well, just like the Auxiliares. Pero “no pasa na”. I have half an hour to kill before I’m picked up by the dad of my next tutor session. They live on the other side of Cartagena so I thought it would be best to get a ride the first day. I also don’t know how I’m going to commute from here to there within an hour by bus. On a lighter note, I found my new favorite pastry shop! Of course it won’t beet La Mallorquina (I think it’s called) in Madrid, but it will have to do! Snacking on a ham and cheese croissant a couple tiny cookies that were ok. Healthy living!

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are definitely my long days. Going out to El Algar from 9am to 2pm and coming back to do two tutor sessions each day. Luckily tomorrow after working from 8am-11am in La Union I’ll come back to rest until 4pm when I have another tutor session.  But if I weren’t working I’d probably just be bumming it out on my couch or something. Trying to make/save money while I’m here! Tomorrow I have my first day at the high school, which here goes until the age 16 then they enter a two year program that’s directed towards pre-college studies I think. I believe it’s a recent change here in Spain.

The two girls I had were really great, well behaved, and the two hours went by stress-free. I’ve only met with one other family and they had a 3 year old boy who I think may be too young to sit for 2 hours straight, his sister in 1st grade was great though. My other two families canceled yesterday, one of which I wasn’t notified until after I had walked over there. The program was suppose to notify me but didn’t. Oh well, got to see more of my new city! It’s bigger than I thought which I like.

Tomorrow is my birthday, second birthday celebration in Spain. Pretty crazy to think of it from that perspective. We’ll have some people over for drinks/food then head out for the night. But not too late for me because I have class at 10am Friday morning…unfortunately.  

(Later at 9pm)
Well the tutor session I just got out of was with two 4 year olds that aren't really friends but their parents set them up for the same time as me. At first it was awkward, because the parents are staring at you expecting to be some magical being and the kids are in the other corner terrified of you haha, all you can do is laugh really. Eventually I picked up the action figures and began making the best sound effects I could. It worked! 

I'm back on my long schedules, tuesdays and wednesdays are the longest. From 8am to 8pm. And people are still trying to get me to do tutoring gigs. But I like being busy. Just like the last two semesters of college, which probably added to how fast time flew by. It's still hot here, but at night time it's beginning to get chilly, just might have to put on a sweater!  

No comments:

Post a Comment