Monday, April 28, 2014

Public vs. Private Schools

I wanted to write a small post about some of the people I've met here in Cartagena, Spain, and other travels. I had one of my private conversation classes today, with a girl who is 12 years old. Although she is only 12, I have always seen her as older because she can carry on interesting, intellectual conversations.  Her English is excellent for her age. I find that most of the people I give classes too (besides the toddlers) are people that share common interests with me, as well as common perspectives.

For example, today with the 12 year old, we came to the subject of private and public schools. All of my private toddler classes go to private elementary schools. When I asked one of the mothers about this, she said it was because private schools are safer and don't have so many kids from outside like Latin America…I didn't know what to say. And this is the mother of the two little boys that I adore. She loves Thai food and asian food though, and is always interested in my travels, so I always thought she was open and free minded. But when I heard that it got me thinking. And it made me sad.

I told my student that I had always gone to public schools, she responded by saying she prefers public schools. I asked her why. Her first reason was that it was so she could meet people from other countries (and therefore backgrounds, religions, beliefs, etc.) She said she liked meeting new, interesting, and different people. I would have never thought of a reason like that at her age! I was impressed and so happy to hear that! I told her about the other family with kids in private schools. She shook her head and said that it doesn't' matter where we're from but that we are all just people. She blew my  mind. I don't know if she gets it from her parents (of course a little bit because they are the ones that decided on public schools, they definitely could have afforded private), or if she is developing it on her own. Although, when I told her mom I loved Morocco, she gave me a "meh" face and said that it never called her attention, and had no intention of going there.

Anyway, it was a nice change from the majority of families I see here that are religious, traditional, and haven't ever thought of traveling outside of Europe. My 12 year old student and I talk about all the places we want to go, all the time!

Another person I have a good connection with is the class right before that with a man in his late 40's or early 50's, a father-like figure. He has traveled a lot, and has lots of stories to tell. We too share similar perspectives on life, politics, and travel. Half the things we talk about are travel. He is planning a trip to Thailand in the next year, I have given him tips on places to visit.

It's these liberated, open-minded, different people. It's nice to know that as I travel, I will meet others who like to travel. It's inevitable. Do what you like to do and you'll meet others just like you. Even people that want to take English classes with you, obviously they want to learn for some reason, to travel? Probably!

In hostels, you meet great people. On trips you meet great people. Whether it is your crazy tour guide, or people who decided to drop everything and travel the world, or a girl doing the PeaceCorps. There's so much to see! So many different people and cultures to meet! I may be biased, but I think everyone needs to travel, outside their comfort zones. It'll give you a more worldly perspective.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure the 12 year old students remembers those imprints of talks you left in her mind! Maybe you inspired a world traveller!!

    ReplyDelete